Watch me cooking LIVE on FB :
Sticky Rice Cake is getting more and more popular. It used to be a dish that we only ate during Chinese New Year, but hey, why limit something so delicious for just once a year! It really isn’t a hard dish to make. The only challenge is that the sticky rice cake is very sticky! It will stick on the pan even when you use a non-stick pan. And it will either get burnt or be undercooked, and you’ll always have to clean a messy pan. Since my kids love this dish so much, I have found out a way to make tasty, flavorful rice cake with just one simple “Pet-Bo” (Secret tip). And of course, I’ll have to share that with you, or I wouldn’t be ChiaChia, right?!
Napa Cabbage x 600-650g ( about 1/3 to 1/2 Napa cabbage depends on the size of the cabbage)(Julienne cut)
Shredded Pork x 150g
Soy Sauce x 2 tbsp
Chinese Rice Wine x 1 tbsp
Chinese ShaoShin Rice Wine x 1/2 tsp (Optional, could sub with Marsala wine)
Monk Fruit Sweetener / Sugar x 1/2 tsp (Optional, depends on how sweet your soy sauce is)
Corn Starch x 1/2 tsp
Sticky Rice Cake x 650g
Green Onions x 3 (Julieene cut)
Garlic x 2 cloves (smash and roughly chop)
Ginger x 5 slices (Julienne cut)
Oil x 2tbsp
Salt to taste
- Soak sticky rice cake in cold water for 10 mins.
- Marinate shredded pork with soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese rice wine and monk fruit sweetener/sugar for 10 mins.
- Heat up the pan and add oil. When hot, add in ginger, and shredded pork, saute until color change.
- Add in napa cabbage, saute for about 2-3 mins until soft. Add salt to season to taste.
- Take out half of the napa cabbage and pork, set aside. Spread the rest in the pan evenly to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add in sticky rice cake on top of the napa cabbage, evenly spread out. Try not to let rice cake touch the pan. Then add in the other half of the napa cabbage and pork on top of the sticky rice cake, covering the rice cake as much as possible.
- Add in a cup of water, cover lid, simmer under low heat for 10-15 mins.
- Open lid, turn heat up to medium, add in green onions, and give it a quick stir. Turn the heat off and serve!