This dish is all about the flavorful, yet balanced sauce, and the awesome fresh ingredients. Even though the sauce is like a match made in Heaven with the Spotted Prawn, it’s also a great sauce for all kinds of seafood, like fish, oysters, or squid! Actually, you can even use it as a dipping sauce for hotpot-style pork or beef slices!
1. In a bowl, mix together the finely-chopped cilantro, onion, and garlic, with the lime juice and palm sugar. Set aside, and let it sit.
2. With scissors, trim the prawn antenna and legs, then separate the head and the body of the prawn. Put the prawn heads and body in separate bowls, with ice underneath, and an ice pack on top. Keeping everything chilled is good food safety!
3. Peel the prawns, then take 3- 4 slices horizontally across the belly-side of the shrimp to break the tendon. This prevents the shrimp from curling up.
4. Then, flip over and Butterfly length-wise down the back of the shrimp. Be careful not to cut all the way through. De-vein, if necessary. There should be a nice channel along the back of the shrimp, which is great to pool the sauce.
5. Plate all the prawns and drizzle the sauce and the herbs on top of the prawns.