This dish screams Taiwan! It’s one of the top three dishes that truly represents Taiwanese cuisine! Taiwan is a small island filled with gourmet food from all over the world. Taiwanese people’s palates are spoiled! If this dish can win every Taiwanese people’s heart over, you know it’s a dish you must try! And I’m sharing with you all my tips to bring your LoBa game to another level!
Pork Belly x 5-6lb
Pork Bones x 1.5lb
Rice wine x ⅓ cup
Shaohsing x ¼ cup
Water x 1 ½ cup ＋⅓ cup
Soy sauce x 1 ¼ cups
Fried shallots x ½ cups
Sugar x ⅓ cup
Ground white pepper x ½ tbsp
Ground black pepper x ½ tbsp
Garlic ( minced ) x 5-6 cloves
Shallots ( minced ) 2-3 bulbs
Oil x 2 tbsp
Hard Boiled Eggs x 10-15 (Optional)
1. Blanch pork bones and rinse to clean.
2. Clean the pork belly and cut them into 1cm strips. *See video for detail
3. Make the caramelized syrup. In a small pot, put sugar in, caramelize sugar with low heat. Once all sugar is melted, turn the heat off, and add in ⅓ cup of hot water in. Be careful with the splash and steam. Once the splash and the steam settled down, turn the heat back on to medium low and melt the sugar that was hardened by the water. After all sugar is melted, continue to simmer the syrup for another 1-2 mins, then turn the heat off.
4. Heat up a pot, add in oil, add the shallots in while the oil is still cold, saute to release the flavor with medium low heat, about 1-2 mins. Then add in garlic, continue to saute for another 1-2 mins until fragrant.
5. Add in pork belly, saute with high heat until most of the meat has changed color.
6. Add in 3-4 tbsp of the caramelized syrup, saute and stir well with the pork belly.
7. Add in Taiwanese rice wine, Shaohsing rice wine, water, soy sauce, fried shallots, ground white pepper and ground black pepper. Taste to see if you’d like to add 1-2 more tbsp of the caramelized syrup. Once season to taste, bring to boil and cover the lid and let it simmer with low heat for 2 hours. If you choose to skip braising the eggs, you can just leave the bones in and simmer the Loba sauce for 3 hours straight.
8. After 2 hours, take all the pork bones out and put in the hard boiled eggs to braise for another hour.
What I use in the video :
Soy sauce : https://bit.ly/39sFAKq
Sugar : https://amzn.to/3cwWkSR
Taiwanese Rice Wine : Uwajimaya, or your local Asian market. Try to find the one without salt at alcohol section, not the cooking wine section.
Shaohsing Rice Wine : Uwajimaya, or your local Asian market. Try to find the one without salt at alcohol section, not the cooking wine section.